To perform the receiving process properly, the warehouse should be able to verify that it has received the right product, in the right quantity, in the right condition, and at the right time. Companies normally receive goods against ‘Advance Shipment Note’ or ASN which contains information like name of item, UOM (Unit of Measurement) Serial no, Lot no, manufacturing and expiration dates.
Following three types of receiving process basis handling units.
- Pallet receiving – pallet receiving is fastest receiving process, as effort required is lesser. All you must do is count number of pallets received and enter into system. But this type of receiving is possible when following conditions are met
- Unloading and storage in pallets
- Single SKU pallet.
Applies to fast moving goods with lesser DOH (days on hands) such as cigarettes, cold drinks.
- Carton receiving – Carton receiving is faster receiving process. process steps involved are counting number of cartons received for every SKU and enter inch system. this type of receiving is possible when following conditions are met
- Unloading and storage in cartons or pallets
- Single SKU cartons
- Reliable vendor
Applies to fast moving goods with medium DOH (about 30 days) such as packaged foods, apparels etc.
- Each receiving –
each receiving is time consuming process, wherein every carton must be opened,
different items are segregated SKU wise and every piece is counted and received
in system. Each receiving is being done due to following reasons.
- Multi SKU cartons
- Unreliable vendor in terms of product quality.
Receiving also involves the transfer of responsibility for the goods to the warehouse. This places accountability on the warehouse for maintaining the condition of the goods until they are shipped.